- Human – Environment interactions
- Interdisciplinary research in Ecosystems Management.
Education and training
- 2017- to date: Technische Universität München (Germany) / Universität Salzburg (Austria); PhD and DAAD scholarship holder within the DAAD Quality Network Biodiversity Kenya. Working title: “Human Acceptance and Ecological Outcomes of Divergent Conservation Strategies in Fragile Forest Regions in Southeastern Kenya”
- 2012- 2014: Universität zu Köln (Germany); Master’s Degree in Culture and Environment in Africa and Albertus-Magnus-Programm scholarship holder. Thesis Topic: The Soil Erosion Enigma: Revisiting ‘The More People, Less Erosion’ Debate on Machakos, Kenya.
- 2006- 2010: University of Nairobi (Kenya); Bachelor’s Degree in Education (Arts)
- 2015- 2016: Nelson Mandela African Institute of Science and Technology (Tanzania); Research assistant
- 2014- 2015: Maasai Mara University (Kenya); Assistant lecturer
- 2010- 2012: Masaku Early Childhood Education Teacher Training College (Kenya); Academic coordinator
Habel JC, Nzau JM, Apfelbeck B, Bendzko T, Fischer C, Kimatu JN, Mwakumanya MA, Maghenda M, Mulwa RK, Rieckmann M, Shauri H, Teucher M, Schmitt C (2020) Land scarcity, communication gaps and institutional confusions influence the loss of biodiversity in south-eastern Kenya.Biodiversity and Conservation 29: 3835–3841. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10531-020-02043-0
Nzau JM, Gosling E, Rieckmann M, Shauri HS, Habel JC (2020) The illusion of a Participatory Forest Management success story: A matter of inter-ethnic relations and the history of the local people. Biodiversity and Conservation 29: 1923–1936. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10531-020-01954-2
Rülke J, Rieckmann M, Nzau JM, Teucher M (2020) How Ecocentrism and Anthropocentrism Influence Human–Environment Relationships in a Kenyan Biodiversity Hotspot. Sustainability 12: 8213. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12198213
Nzau JM, Rogers R, Shauri HS, Rieckmann M, Habel JC (2018) Smallholder perceptions and communication gaps shape East African riparian ecosystems. Biodiversity and Conservation 27: 3745. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10531-018-1624-9