Admission to MSc Applied Geoinformatics
Geoinformatics at the University of Salzburg is offered as a graduate, residential, two year, English language programme that can be chosen based on a range of undergraduate qualifications. Bachelor level graduates from ‘spatially oriented disciplines’ like geography, surveying /geomatics, geoinformatics or cartography can be admitted without additional coursework. Candidates with a bachelor level or higher qualification in other relevant fields like computer science, ecology, geosciences, environmental sciences, social sciences of economics can be ‘conditionally’ admitted with additional credit requirements of up to 45 ECTS.
Funding needs to be assured prior to the registration – the University of Salzburg does not grant any scholarships or bursaries. The Austrian Agency for international mobility (OEAD) offers a database providing information on scholarships for international students > http://www.grants.at/. National (home country) and international funding organizations should be considered as well.
The admission procedure starts with the application for admission, completing a form and preparing required additional documents:
- Application for Admission Master Programme > application form
- Required Documents for Admission: The following documents have to be provided together with the application form for admission (original documents or as a certified copies):
- Degree award of the completed studies;
- Transcript of studies including all grades;
- Curriculum of the completed studies;
- English language competencies (C1) – see below.
For an indicative pre-evaluating of an application a detailed documentation of the course syllabus of the first degree is necessary (e.g., diploma supplement or curriculum). English language versions or translations of all documents are accepted, these are be sent via Email to studium[at]sbg.ac.at for evaluation by the University of Salzburg.
When this preliminary evaluation of ‘admissibility’ leads to a positive assessment, candidates are welcome to submit their formal application to the Admissions Office. This has to include the original documents (or certified copies) mentioned above. After a positive formal evaluation, you will receive a letter of admission. As a next step a personal appointment for enrolment has to be scheduled through > online preregistration.
In case of a conditional admission, with additional credits to be completed during the master studies, the applicant will be informed about requirements during the admission process.
As a general rule applicants already need to have completed their bachelor’s or other degree before submitting an application for admission to the Master program.
Dates for Admission
Students from non EU countries have to submit their application for admission (including the admission form and required documents) until:
- Jan 10 for admission in the summer semester
- Aug 10 for admission in the winter semester.
In particular when visa, travel and accommodation arrangements need to be completed an earlier submission is strongly recommended!
Students from within the EU can submit their application for admission (including the admission form and required documents) also during an extended application period. Until the end of this period the payment of all tuition fees and the student union fee have to be completed. The extended periods end:
- April 30 for the summer semester
- November 30 for the winter semester.
Tuition & Fees
Depending on the progress in your studies and your country of origin, tuition fees may be due. Information on whether tuition fees are to be paid can be found > here.
- Student union fee of approx. € 20 per semester
- Non-EU students only: student fee of € 726.72 per semester
- Get more information on tuiton fees at or from the International Office
For the English language competence on C1 level, the university accepts ‘Matura’/’Abitur’ high school leaving certificates including English as a subject, a documentation of prior studies completed with English language of instructiuon (minimum duration four semesters); or one of the following certificates:
- Cambridge Exams (Skala 0-230):
C1 Advanced (=CAE): A, B, C bzw. Cambridge English Scale Score ≥ 180
C2 Proficiency (=CPE): Bestanden bzw. Cambridge English Scale Score ≥ 180
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
IELTS Academic (Skala 1-9): ≥ 6,5
- Pearson Test of English Academic
PTE Academic (Skala 10-90): ≥ 76
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
TOEFL IBT (Skala 0-120): ≥ 95