Health & Insurance
From Salzburg to all over the world –
Information for outgoing students
You are obliged to take care of your own insurance cover during your stay abroad.
1) Accident and liability insurance
- By paying the ÖH contribution
- on the way to/at the host institution
- Does not apply to liability claims in the USA, Australia, Canada.
- See: ÖH-Service for more information or insurance confirmation.
2) Health insurance
- European health insurance applies within the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland
- Back of the e-card
- Check with your health insurance company about benefits and any additional health insurance you may need abroad.
- In some cases, it is advisable to take out additional private health insurance – enquire about this with your health insurance institution in good time before departure.
3) (International) travel insurance: voluntary, but recommended
4) Optional: Free travel registration for Austrian citizens at the BMEIA.
> Facilitates contact abroad in crisis situations
From all over the world to Salzburg –
Information for incoming students
Every student who is studying at the University of Salzburg needs a health insurance policy that is valid in Austria.
- Citizens of EU take their E-Card to Salzburg.
- In case you have a valid national health insurance in a country that has concluded a social insurance agreementwith Austria, you have to bring along the A3 form for short stays, and the A4 form in case of stays where your primary residence (“Hauptwohnsitz”) is in Austria. Both forms are available from the respective national health insurance provider and can be exchanged for a confirmation of insurance at the relevant Austrian health insurance provider (“Gesundheitskasse”) that entitles you to medical treatment in Austria and can be presented at the residence authority.
- Third countries exchange students are entitled to buy health insurance for students in Salzburg with Österreichische Gesundheitskasse (OeGK), if required. The monthly costs are € 66.79 (as of 2023).
- Find detailed information here Austrian Health Insurance
We recommend students who need special treatment to bring a prescription and/or medical instructions from the specialist at home.
There is no doctor’s office for students and staff on the university campus. In case of illness, students look for a doctor in private practice or go for treatment to the emergency room of the Salzburg Hospital (SALK).
Accident and Liability Insurance
All students must pay the Austrian Student Union mandatory fee to enrol at the University of Salzburg. This fee includes liability and accident insurance for damages or accidents that happen during courses at the university as well as on the way to and from the university. Get more information here!
If students wish to have more extensive or other insurance cover, they must arrange this themselves.
Disability & Diversity
The PLUS department Family, Gender, Disability and Diversity invites students with special needs to receive the necessary support according to their own needs. The International Relations Office and FGDD are working closely together.
The Austrian Student Union also provides sponsoring options for students suffering from fewer opportunities or who are encountering unforeseen problems.
Students get assistance in personal development, guidance for academic, personal & psychological challenges free of charge.