Kurt Zopf Prize – Details

Call Requirements

In memory of Mr. Kurt Zopf, a generous supporter of our institution, the University of Salzburg has been offering the annual Kurt Zopf Award, endowed with 10,000 euros, for members of the University since 2011. This award is intended to honor high-ranking and internationally recognized scientific publication achievements of already renowned scientists of the Salzburg University and to promote their further scientific career there.

 

Main features

SUBJECT AREAS: The prize is awarded annually, alternating between organization units of the University of Salzburg and the medium of publication.

The proposal call for the ongoing procedure “Kurt Zopf Prize 2021” focused on publications from departments of the University of Salzburg covering the areas:

    • Department areas:

      humanities, cultural studies and/or social sciences, legal sciences, theology

    • Possible publishing medium: awarded separately:
      • scientific journal articles respectively
      • monographs

YEAR of PUBLICATION: The basis for the application within the call for proposals for the ongoing procedure “Kurt Zopf Prize 2021” was an original scientific publication issued within the three calendar years preceding the award (i.e. 2018, 2019, 2020).

 

Jury:

To ensure a professional and objective evaluation procedure, submissions are evaluated by a jury consisting of senior, experienced, scientific experts, external to the University of Salzburg.

Jury Members 2020 have been:

  • a.o.Univ.-Prof. Dr. Alexander EGLE
  • Univ.-Prof. Dr. Tobias GREITEMEYER
  • Univ.-Prof. Dr. Dirk STRUNK
  • em.O.Univ.-Prof. Dipl.‑Ing. Dr. Ulrich SCHUBERT

 

Award Criteria:

  • Reputation of the publication media (publisher, etc.) within the research discipline
  • Originality of the publication (hypotheses, theories, models)
  • Novelty and scientific significance of the findings in the research discipline
  • Quality of the preparation of the subject (methodology, analysis and conclusions)
  • Presentation (content and style)
  • Multi-authorship: the applicant(s) contribution to the publication (explanations can be noted in the cover letter; max. 2 pages)
  • Publications written predominantly in Salzburg will be favored

 

Prize money:

  • The prize is endowed with 10.000,- Euro
  • The prize can be shared.
  • Regarding the amount of money (e.g. € 10,000 gross): 80% (such as € 8,000 gross) of the total amount will be allotted for the recipient’s scientific work at the University of Salzburg. The remaining 20% (such as € 2,000 gross) can be used at the recipient’s discretion. Respectively, if the awardee leaves the University of Salzburg, 20% (such as € 2,000 gross) shall be considered as prize money.

 

Eligibility Criteria:

  • only habilitated members of the University of Salzburg with an active employment can apply for the Kurt Zopf Prize.
  • Scientific publication within the previous three calendar years (e.g. 2018/2019/2020).
  • If there is both a print and an online published version with one of the publication dates not falling within the reference period for an application, it is up to the applicant to decide for which year he/she is going to apply for the prize.
  • One and the same publication can be submitted only once for the Kurt Zopf Prize.
  • Only one publication can be submitted.
  • Further award applications for the same publication have to be announced.

 

Application Procedure:

Applications must include the following documents (preferably in electronic form):

  • Informal letter with contact information including physical and e-mail addresses and phone-numbers
  • A copy of the scientific publication;
    in case of applying with a monograph please provide 2 printed editions additionally to the electronic version of the publication (they will be returned after the award selection process);  please send to: “Research Service and Technology Transfer”, Kapitelgasse 6, 5020 Salzburg, attn. Elisabeth Egger;
  • Abstract of the publication
  • Reviews or other evaluations of the publication, if available (including Information about possible close relationship (e.g. coauthor, same department affiliation))

 

General Regulations:

  • All applicants will be notified of the decision made.
  • Presentation of the Kurt-Zopf-Prize will take place within the “Night of Excellence”.
  • The jury’s decision is final. There is no legal recourse and no right to appeal.