Kurt Zopf Prize – Details
In memory of Mr. Kurt Zopf, a generous supporter of our institution, the University of Salzburg has been offering the annual Kurt Zopf Award, endowed with 10,000 euros, for members of the University since 2011. This award is intended to honor high-ranking and internationally recognized scientific publication achievements of already renowned scientists of the Salzburg University and to promote their further scientific career there.
: The prize is awarded annually, alternating between organization units of the University of Salzburg and the medium of publication.
The proposal call for the currently ongoing procedure “Kurt Zopf Prize 2020”
focuses on publications from departments of the University of Salzburg covering the areas:
YEAR of PUBLICATION
- Department areas: natural science, human medicine and technical sciences
- Possible publishing medium: scientific journal articles (final or principal authorship)
: The basis for the application within the call for proposals for the currently ongoing procedure “Kurt Zopf Prize 2020”
was an original scientific publication issued within the three calendar years preceding the award (i.e. 2017, 2018, 2019).
To ensure a professional and objective evaluation procedure, submissions are evaluated by a jury consisting of senior, experienced, scientific experts, external to the University of Salzburg.
Jury Members 2019 :
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Gabriele ANDERST-KOTSIS
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Ludwig AIGNER
- Hofrat i.R. Hon.Prof.Dr. Lorenz MIKOLETZKY
- Dr. Georg POSCH
- Priv.-Doz. Dr. Alexander EGLE
- Reputation of the publication media (publisher, etc.) within the research discipline
- Originality of the publication (hypotheses, theories, models)
- Novelty and scientific significance of the findings in the research discipline
- Quality of the preparation of the subject (methodology, analysis and conclusions)
- Presentation (content and style)
- Multi-authorship: the applicant(s) contribution to the publication (explanations can be noted in the cover letter; max. 2 pages)
- Publications written predominantly in Salzburg will be favored
- The prize is endowed with 10.000,- Euro
- The prize can be devided between the winners.
- Regarding the amount of money (e.g. € 10,000 gross): 80% (such as € 8,000 gross) of the total amount will be allotted for the recipient’s scientific work at the University of Salzburg. The remaining 20% (such as € 2,000 gross) can be used at the recipient’s discretion. Respectively, if the awardee leaves the University of Salzburg, 20% shall be considered as prize money.
- only habilitated members of the University of Salzburg with an active employment can apply for the Kurt Zopf Prize.
- Scientific publication within the previous three calendar years (2017/2018/2019).
- If there is both a print and an online published version with one of the publication dates not falling within the reference period for an application, it is up to the applicant to decide for which year he/she is going to apply for the prize.
- One and the same publication can be submitted only once for the Kurt Zopf Prize.
- Only one publication can be submitted
- Further award applications for the same publication have to be announced
Applications must include the following documents (preferably in electronic form):
- Informal letter with contact information including physical and e-mail addresses and phone-numbers
- A copy of the scientific publication
- Abstract of the publication
- Reviews or other evaluations of the publication, if available (including Information about possible close relationship (e.g. coauthor, same department affiliation))
- All applicants will be notified of the decision made.
- Presentation of the Kurt-Zopf-Prize will take place in a small ceremony.
- All applicants will be notified of the final decision.