How do I enrol?

Before you start your studies at the University of Salzburg, there are a few things that need taking care of.

These include the appointment for the personal enrolment, the enrolment itself, clarifying questions concerning the tuition fee and getting information for the orientation day. But do not worry, all these matters are explained step by step in the following paragraphs. If you have further questions, you can contact the student support any time.

Photograph: © Luigi Caputo

Step 1 –  appointment for personal enrolment

Please make an appointment if:

  • Your study program has NO preceding admission test or specific entrance qualifications. In the section “study programmes”, you can find information on your chosen program, and on whether there is a preceding admission test or other specific entrance qualifications. If you cannot find your study program in the appointment databank, there is an admission test or other requirement for this program.
  • You are taking up a study program for the first time at the University of Salzburg (for instance a Bachelor’s or Diploma Study).
    • You will need to have an Austrian “Matura”, EU secondary school certificate or equivalent certificate.
  • You are taking part in a non-degree programme (taking courses without the completion of a study program)
  • You are taking part in a postgraduate education program (Universitätslehrgang)
  • You are a Student from another Austrian Universities taking courses as a guest student at the University of Salzburg for the first time

Step 2: Personal enrolment

The personal enrolment is completed at the Office of Admissions. Please bring the following ORIGINAL documents for your appointment:

  • Valid passport or ID-Card
  • School Leaving Certificate (or other proof of your general university entrance qualification)
  • additional certificates (if required for your chosen study program)
  • letter of admission (if already issued)
  • Certificate of change of name (if documents are issued for different names, e.g. marriage certificate)
  • Leaving Certificate “Abgangsbescheinigung” in case of transfer to the same study program from another Austrian university
  • If applicable, proof of your Austrian social security number (e.g. e-card)
  •  Proof of language proficiency in reference to language of instruction of the chosen program
  • Please bring certified German or English translations if documents are issued in different languages.

Step 3: Tuition Fee

After completing the personal enrolment, you have to pay the tuition fee – only then your enrolment is officially confirmed and you can register for courses.

Step 4: Starting your studies:

After completing the personal enrollment, the following contacts may be helpful:

  • First semester student counselling & tutors: enquire about opening hours at the  ÖH Student Centre.
  • Orientation courses & orientation phase: are generally offered in the first week of the winter semester.
  • University library: take part in a guided tour to learn more about the different libraries and their systems