Main areas of research
- Ecology, biodiversity, distribution, taxonomy, fungi/algae/bacteria associations and conservation of lichens and biological soil crusts in Austria, Antarctica, subantarctic areas in South America and Arctic areas.
- Investigations on symbiotic interactions in lichens, especially the specific diversity of mycobionts and photobionts correlated to climate data using molecular, chemical and morphological tools.
- Modelling of present-day climate-related preferences of photobionts, mycobionts and their symbiosis.
- Conservation: Red list species of lichens in endangered habitats in Austria.
- Diversity of photobionts in soil crust-forming lichens.
All studies are carried out in the Department of Environment & Biodiversity/AG Comes
Technical and professional qualifications
- Bioinformatics: phylogenetic, biogeographic and statistical methods (network statistics and niche modelling)
- NGS, PCR- techniques, molecular cloning (single genes), Primer-design
- Taxonomy: Microscopy, staining techniques, cross sectioning on kryomicrotome, culturing