Example: Visual impairment
In addition to personal strengths, resilience and interest, the following important questions must be clarified before selecting a degree programme:
- Do I need technical aids and which ones are available? In the case of visual impairments, these can be, for example: braille display, screen reader, screen magnification application, text-to-speech reader, video magnifer with or without remote camera, reading device, optical magnification aids, operable voice recording devices.
Some disabilities require assistance – can I have a personal assistant for my studies? D&D can also finance assistance for courses, but not for activities outside the university.
- Are the technical aids I already own sufficient for my degree course? Do I need additional technical aids?
- Are my skills in operating these aids sufficient?
- How competent am I using standard computer software such as, e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Windows Explorer, Internet browsers, e-mail software, Acrobat Reader, and PDF documents?
- Can I manage my chosen degree course with my knowledge and my skills, or do I need additional training with my technical aids and/or my computer skills
You can also seek specialised advice from the Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired:
- Blinden- und Sehbehindertenverband (Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired) Salzburg
Tel: +43 662/ 43 16 63 -0
Companies that offer advice on and sell technical aids:
Tel.: +43 1/ 27 88 333
Tel.: +43 1/ 99 77 298