Selecting courses and placement test
It is important to us that our language courses are motivating and not frustrating for you. The course should match your language level as far as possible. We will help you to find the course that is most suitable for you.
A placement test is not necessary if:
- you are an absolute beginner.
- you have successfully completed a previous course with us or at another university/college. Please bring your course certificate with you.
- you have taken a placement test with us in the last two years. Please let us know the semester, the language and the approximate level.
- you have an official language certificate (ÖSD, ÖIF, IELTS, telc, DELF, …), please bring it with you when you register.
Placement test (DIALANG: A1-C2)
This free online placement test was developed by several European universities and is based on the levels of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Please use this placement test for the languages English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Swedish. Plan 1-2 hours for the full test.
1. Go to the homepage: DIALANG.
2. Click the arrow icon.
3. Select “Notes in English” or another language and click OK.
4. Read the information about the test on the next three pages.
- Do the test on your own.
- The parts of the test (listening, writing, reading, grammar and vocabulary) can be taken in any order.
- The audios can only be heard once.
- The first step is to determine your vocabulary knowledge. We recommend that you complete this step, as the level of the further tasks is adjusted on the basis of this first step.
- Filling out the self-assessment questionnaires is optional, but we also recommend it.
IMPORTANT: The results are NOT summarized in a saveable document, so make sure you save a screenshot of your partial test results or write them down. Please bring the results as a printout or scan/screenshot to your personal registration.