Grant for students of English and American Studies, Romance Languages and Literatures, Slavonic Studies to study abroad
Type of grant:
Students of the above-mentioned study programmes can apply for a subsidy to support their study at a foreign university in order to perfect their language skills. This grant is awarded to students wishing to attend classes at a foreign university, as organised by the student themselves. The university cannot be a partner institution of the University of Salzburg within the ERASMUS or Joint Study programmes.
Duration of grant:
Minimum one semester, maximum one academic year.
International Relations Department, University of Salzburg
- Written proof of study placement, as organised by the student, in an English, Slavonic, Romance-language-speaking or country.
- Regular, registered student at the University of Salzburg;
- Successful completion of two semester in the relevant study programme.
- Candidates must have the centre of their vital interests in Austria and cannot already be carrying out research abroad when applying
Other Important details:
- Grants are only issued to students who cannot apply for financial aid within the framework of another funding programme
- Study grant recipients can apply for a study abroad grant from the Scholarship Office in addition to the study grant (e.g. Study Abroad Scholarship from the Scholarship Office).
- Since June 2022, recipients of study abroad grants from the Scholarship Office can also apply for PLUS study abroad grants.
- Graduate students cannot be sponsored
- If they meet the requirements, recipients of the PLUS Study Abroad Scholarship with disabilities, chronic illnesses, children in need of care, or dependents requiring care may apply for additional top-ups under the Friederike Zweig Study Abroad Grant. (See PLUS Friederike Zweig Study Abroad Grant – Top-up to support disadvantaged groups to study abroad inclusively).
- Course or tuition fees will not be funded.
- Applicants employed by the University of Salzburg, who will continue to recieve their wage whilst on leave, will only receive 50% of the maximum monthly grant, as stated, if their salary exceeds €730 per month (net.).
Candidates will be selected by a commision authority at the university.
Only grants (not full scholarships) are awarded for living and travel expenses. The sum of the grant will be calculated on the basis of destination country (from the student grants act – Studienförderungsgesetz) and the applicant’s financial plan. Alongside the grant, a one-time travel subsidy of up to €700 will be issued.
A table with the subsidies for living travel grans by destination country can be found on our website.
Please be aware!
Applications for the grant must be fully completed and handed in on time. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered!
The approval must be submitted before the start of the mobility at the latest. Any delayed approvals will not be considered, even if the other requirements had previously been met.
- Application form – grant for study abroad general (1x);
- 2 written references, 1 of which must be written by an academic advisor of the relevant work project (Bachelor, Mast, Diploma or doctoral thesis), which confirm the necessary completion of the study abroad period – as well as its duration – as required in their academic course programme;
- A tabular CV (Curriculum Vitae) (1x);
- Letter of motivation backed up by academic reason (1x);
- Printout of Transcript (PLUSonline) (1x);
- Diploma certificate (if necessary) (1x copy);
- Proof of credibility for planned courses within the study programme at the University of Salzburg;
- Proof of foreign languages, if necessary for the study period abroad (1x);
- Confirmation of acceptance;
- Financial plan (see application form).
Privacy information about mobility programs
For more information regarding the processing of your personal data, please see our privacy information HERE
International Relations Department, Sigmund-Haffner-Gasse 18, 2nd Floor, 5020 Salzburg.
- 15th November
- 1st February
- 1st April
- 1st June
A report (maximum 5 pages), as well as a confirmation of stay from the host institution (certificate), is to be submitted after completion of the mobility to the International Relations Department. The report must contain information regarding the duration of stay at the host institution, details of the course of study, as well as a description of practical experience obtained during the placement abroad.
In addition to this, a confirmation of completed courses (Transcript) must be submitted.
A minimum of 3 ECTS per semester must be obtained – if the study period lasted one semester, 12 or 15 ECTS credits will be calculated, as based on the monthly duration of the semester.
Should the report or the confirmation of attendance certificate not be submitted within two months after the completion of the excursion, the grant must be fully repaid.
Grants are awarded within the framework of a private sector administration and are based on the student‘s application. There is no legal entitlement to the grant.
We will happily provide you with more information – please contact:
Dott.ssa Elona Memisha-Schnappinger
Coordinator for Incoming and Outgoing Mobilities worldwide
International Relations Department
Sigmund-Haffner-Gasse 18, 2. Stock
A – 5020 SalzburgTel.: +43-(0)662-8044-2043
Web: University of Salzburg Grant Programs