How do I apply as an international student for a master’s degree program at the University of Salzburg?
A. Basic rules
B. The application process step by step
Step 1: Eligibility
- The formal admission process is administered by the Office of Admissions.
- Depending on the case, this process may take up to two months. We therefore advise you to start the formal admission process as soon as possible – please check the current application deadlines here.
Depending on your citizenship, there are different application deadlines. EU applicants applying for Bachelor- Diploma- or Teacher Training Programs have to submit their complete application (application form plus relevant documents) within the “general admission period”: 5th September (for winter semester) or 5th February (for summer semester). NON-EU-applicants have to submit complete applications within the “special admission period” until 10th August (for winter semester) or 10th January (for summer semester).
- For some programs there is a qualification based selection process used by the department offering the program for which you are applying. You need to refer to the website of the respective departments in order to find the guidelines of the selection process. If your program has a selection process, you should complete this process first before sending documents to the Office of Admissions.
- After receiving your official document of admission, you can start enrolling online in the program you have chosen. However, to complete enrolment, you will have to go to Office of Admissions in Salzburg in person to receive your student ID-card and number.
- The admission procedure is essentially the same for EU and non-EU students, with two exceptions stated in step 2 and step 5 below.
Check whether the program you would like to apply to has a qualitative selection process. If so, then complete this process by following the specific guidelines for this program.
Step 2: Sending the application form and documents in print
In order to start the formal admission procedure, you must first send in the physical copies of the following documents to the Office of Admissions
(see address below):
1. A completed and signed application form. The form can be found here
2. A copy of the page of your passport with your picture on it. (The copy need not be certified by an authority).
3. The graduation certificate of your BA degree. (You will need to send the original! If your certificate is not in English, you are required to provide a certified English or German translation.)
4. A copy of the complete list of courses that you have taken in your BA-program.
5. For non-EU students only: an official document of a University in your home country saying that you are allowed to enter their MA-program as a home student. Certificate of special qualification for university studies
Note: You will need to certify your documents. If possible, we recommend the simplified procedure called “Hague apostille”. For information about this procedure see here
Address to which the above documents need to be sent:
University of Salzburg
Office of Admissions
Step 3: Confirmation by the university and further inquiries
After sending your documents, you should receive a confirmation email from the Office of Admissions
. This email will also inform you about any problems with your documents.
After receiving the confirmation that the application is complete, students will typically receive an admission certificate, or they will be informed about why it has been declined.
If you do not get the confirmation letter or the certificate in time, you should contact the Office of Admissions either by email or phone:
Note: You should also contact the Office of Admissions immediately if, for any reason, your application is delayed, you cannot provide your documents in time, or you have no safe way to send your documents in their original form.
Step 4: Get more information from the International Relations Department
The International Relations Department is a service facility at the University of Salzburg which offers information and help with organisational procedures to exchange students, i.e. student housing, scholarships, social and cultural activities etc.
Have a look at their website using this link:
Step 5: Enrolling in your program
To enroll in your chosen programm, complete the procedure as follows:
1. Online registration (starts at the beginning of July or at the beginning of January)
You should go online to the following page:
There you will need to do the following:
- upload your personal and statistical data
- choose your study program
- upload a passport picture of yourself for the student ID-card
- book a date for personal registration at the Office of Admissions in Salzburg, Kapitelgasse 4.
2. When you arrive to your pre-booked appointment at the Office of Admissions, you should bring along the following documents:
- the official letter of admission
3. Pay the student union fee (€ 20.20) once your student account has been set up.
4. For non-EU students only: in addition to this you will need to pay a student fee of € 726.72 (per semester).
5. After receiving your student ID and paying the fees, your admission process is completed. You can now use your student-ID for accessing PLUS-online. There you find the complete catalogue of courses offered at the University. You can now select the courses you would like to attend.