ANTI-GENDER BACKLASH & DEMOCRATIC PUSHBACK (PUSH*BACK*LASH)
Funding program: Research & Innovation Actions, Horizon Europe Framework Programme (HORIZON-CL2-2021-DEMOCRACY-01-03)
Start Date: 1.1.23;
Duration: 3 Years
The Professorship in Politics & Gender, Diversity & Equality acts as the coordinator of the project PUSH*BACK*LASH which was awarded 3M euro to study the relationship between democracy and the advocacy of/opposition to gender equality. PUSH*BACK*LASH aims to identify anti-gender strategies and discourses and to assess their effects by focusing on parties, social media and public opinion. The consortium will identify existing best practices, and develop and test new strategies to counteract anti-gender and anti-feminist discourses through engaging with stakeholders. To achieve these aims, the project studies the present-day contestation of gender equality issues and policies at both elite and citizen levels using a large methodological palette (e.g., experiments, surveys, interviews, participatory theatre). The project brings together gender activists, EU experts, and researchers from several fields of political science, anthropology, communication and media, philosophy, sociology and social psychology.
- UNIVERSITÄT SALZBURG (Co-ordinator)
- UNIVERSITEIT VAN AMSTERDAM
- THE UNIVERSITY OF EXETER
- GESIS-LEIBNIZ-INSTITUT FUR SOZIALWISSENSCHAFTEN
- EOTVOS LORAND TUDOMANYEGYETEM
- Gender Five Plus
- TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITAET DRESDEN
- UNIVERSITAT DE VALENCIA
- Humanity in Action Polska
- YOUGOV PLC
- TdU-Wien (Theater der Unterdrückten – Wien)
The Professorship in Politics & Gender, Diversity & Equality leads the following three cross-cutting working packages:
WP8 – The Intersectional Impact of Covid-19 analyses how the changed and changing reality in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic has impacted gender equality, feminism(s), and anti-gender discourses in the EU.
WP10 – Engagement and Dissemination aims at ensuring efficient and far-reaching dissemination and exploitation of the results in order to maximise outreach and impact.
WP12 – Management is responsible for the coordination of the consortium, administrative and financial management of the project and communication with the Project Officer (European Commission).
Project Team PLUS
- Prof. Zoe Lefkofridi (Project Coordinator & PI – Principal Investigator)
- Dr, Vera Beloschitzkaya (Postdoctoral Researcher at Politics & Gender, Diversity & Equality)
- Dr. Nadine Zwiener-Collins (Postdoctoral Researcher at Politics & Gender, Diversity & Equality)
- Lara Zwittlinger, B.A. B.A. (Research Assistent)
- Dr. Matilde Ceron (Affiliated Postdoctoral Researcher)