Politics & Gender, Diversity & Equality
The first Gender Chair in Salzburg
The professorship in Politics & Gender, Diversity & Equality was established in March 2020 – as the first professorship of Gender Studies at the PLUS and the Land Salzburg. Internationally, this Gender Chair is unique in its explicit intersectional focus, its methodological pluralism (and esp. its emphasis on quantitative methods), its strong international orientation and the transdisciplinary approach to teaching and research. As the only professorship enshrined in our university’s constitution, its significance is described in the university’s development plan and highlighted in the context of its cooperation with the state and city of Salzburg. The newly established chair represents and promotes Gender Studies (Research & Teaching) at the PLUS.
Research & Teaching Focus
The research and teaching in this field of political science examine the causes and consequences of inequalities in politics, for instance, the causes and effects of persisting political gender stereotypes. Courses currently offered by the chair include:
- Gender, Diversity & Equality
- Gender & Power: Introduction to Gender Studies
- STEOP: Politics – a Political Science Perspective
- Freedom of speech in academic contexts
Based in the Department of Political Science, the chair actively promotes synergies within PLUS and in collaboration with other institutions in Salzburg, including the Institute for Diversity Morzateum and Südwind Salzburg. Projects developed as a result of these collaborations include:
- LEFKOFRIDI Zoe, Univ.-Prof. Mag. Dr. MA MAIS
- ZWIENER-COLLINS Nadine, MSc PhD, Postdoc
- RATZENBÖCK Anja BA, Student Assistant
- Zwiener-Collins, N., Jafri, J. Saini, R. and Poulter, T. (2021). Decolonising quantitative research methods pedagogy: Teaching contemporary politics to challenge hierarchies from data. Politics. DOI: 10.1177/02633957211041449
- Chesta, R. E. and Lefkofridi, Z. ‘Symbolic Gesture In Political Protest’, in R. Bettel, I. Kaldrack and K. Sturtz (eds.) Throwing Gestures: Protest, Economy and the Imperceptible. Verlag für Moderne Kunst, In press.
- Dingler, S. and Lefkofridi, Z. The Gender Dimension of Populism. In Heinisch, R. Holz-Bacha, C. Mazzoleni O. (eds) Handbook on Political Populism. Baden Baden: Nomos: 345-360.
- Jansesberger, V. A. Lefkofridi, Z. and Mühlböck, A. (2021) Electoral Support for FPÖ in Regional and National Arenas: Different Levels of Government, Same Causality? Annual Review of Regional Elections-Regional and Federal Studies.
- Lefkofridi, Z. and Rhein, S. Inclusive Solidarity? The Social Democratic Dilemma Between EU Rules and Supporters’ Preferences. In Crepaz, M. The Handbook on Migration and Welfare. Edward Elgar, In press.
- Rump, M., & Zwiener-Collins, N. (2021). What determines political trust during the COVID-19 crisis? The role of sociotropic and egotropic crisis impact. Journal of Elections, Public Opinion and Parties, 31(sup1), 259-271. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/17457289.2021.1924733
- Karremans, J. and Lefkofridi, Z (2020) (eds) Responsive vs. Responsible? Party Democracy in Times of Crisis. Party Politics, 26 (3), 271-279. [DOI]: 10.1177/1354068818761199
- Karremans, J. and Lefkofridi, Z. (2020). The Political Economy of the European Union: The Tension between National and Supranational Politics. In Vivares, E. (ed) Routledge Handbook to Global Political Economy. Conversations and Inquiries, Chapter 28 [ISBN]: 9781138479883.
- Katsanidou, A. and Lefkofridi, Z. (2020) A Decade of Crisis in the European Union: Lessons from Greece, Journal of Common Market Studies 58: 160-172. (Open Access) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jcms.13070
- Lefkofridi, Z. and Giger, N. (2020) Democracy or Oligarchy? Unequal Representation of Income Groups in European Institutions. Politics and Governance, 8(1): 19-27. [DOI]: 10.17645/pag.v8i1.2526. (Open Access)
- Lefkofridi (2020) Competition in the European Arena: How the Rules of the Game Help Nationalists Gain. Politics and Governance, 8(1): 41–49. [DOI]: 10.17645/pag.v8i1.2517. (Open Access)
- Lefkofridi, Z. (2020) Opinion-Policy Congruence. In Thomassen, J.and Rohrschneider, R. (eds) Handbook of Political Representation in Liberal Democracies, Oxford: OUP, Chapter 18, In press. [ISBN]: 9780198825081.
- Lefkofridi, Z. (2020) Will the EU Survive or Disintegrate? In Pausch, M. (ed.) Perspectives for Europe: Historical Concepts and Future Challenges. Nomos, 95-118. [DOI]: 10.5771/9783748900092
- Lefkofridi, Z. and Schmitter, P.C. Neofunctionalism in the Decade of Crises. In Brack, N. and Gurkan, S. (eds). Theorizing Crises of the European Union, Routledge, ISBN 9780367431402.
Complete lists of publications of the staff members in politics of the European Union may be found on their personal websites.