Equivalency to EU/EEA Citizens

Citizens from non-EU/EEA countries can apply for an equivalency of the tuition fee to EU/EEA citizens in certain cases. When the equivalency is granted, the same tuition fee conditions apply for the concerned parties as for EU/EEA citizens.

Students, who fulfil one of the conditions of the decree governing admission for certain groups of people (“Personengruppenverordnung”) or have the same access to work as Austrians due to a treaty under international law can apply for an equivalency.

Furthermore, students in possession of the following residence permit can apply for an equivalency:


Residence permits:

  • Selbstständige*r
  • Sonderfälle unselbstständiger Erwerbstätigkeit
  • Familiengemeinschaft
  • Rot-Weiß-Rot Karte
  • Rot-Weiß-Rot Karte plus
  • Aufenthaltstitel „Familienangehöriger“
  • Daueraufenthalt EU (issued in Austria)
  • Daueraufenthalt EU (issued in another EU country) in conjunction with a valid residence permit (except “Erwerbstätigkeit” or Niederlassungsbewilligung Österreich)

!!!NOTE: Equivalency for students with a residence permit “Aufenthaltsbewilligung – Student” is only granted in conjunction with a notification for the “Personengruppenverordnung”!!!


Students in degree programs need to submit the application for equivalency of the tuition fee along with a scan of their residence permit (both in high definition) at the Office of Admissions. You can use our  contact form here and find the application form here.