Admission procedure

Prospective candidates who intend to enter the doctoral degree programme need to apply for university admission at the admission department of the University of Salzburg.

Detailed information concerning the admission process is available at:

Even if you successfully underwent a selection procedure the formal admission process is independently carried out by the central study service center.

The office of admission will guide you through the process after filling their contact form. It might be that some information may require prior discussion with your prospective supervisor. Copies of your degree awards, certificates and transcripts (in German or in English) need to be submitted together with this form.

You will further notice from this form that you can be granted permission to complete your doctoral studies in English language. Don’t expect, though, that all administrative procedures fully support this language option as well – we will try to help with any language obstacles. Be aware, though, that your command of English language needs to be excellent!

Our admission department will only assess the equivalence of your previous coursework to Austrian University standards and not the quality of your application. It will be verified whether or not your previous studies are fully compliant with the requirements of the Austrian University law. A decision on your application can be expected within several weeks and you should receive an admission letter. In order to get started with the programme in the respective semester please initiate this application process as soon as possible.


After successful admission to the PhD programme at the University you are required to register at the beginning of your first semester at the University. This process is based on your prior admission, so you need to bring the admission letter plus any other required document in its original form, not a copy.

Required Documents for Personal Registration:

  • Valid Passport / ID proving citizenship
  • Admission Letter (issued by the University of Salzburg)
  • Copy of E-Card (only for Austrian citizens)
  • Original documents of awarded degrees (in some cases legalization of degrees is required – please compare with pt. Legalization)

After you have completed the registration process, you are required to re-register (online) for each subsequent semester. DO NOT ignore this very important step, as you otherwise will automatically lose your student status, cannot sit for any exams and not receive any grades. Plus, your curriculum status can change upon later re-registration. Thus, in short, make sure you re-register every semester!

Detailed information concerning the registration process: !

Students ID card

Upon completion of registration students receive a student ID card, called “Uni Salzburg Card,” which is needed for access to university services.

 Services available to Students include:

 Computer Labs, E-Mail / Webmail, Libraries, University Language Center, University Sports Institute (USI)

Information about legalization of documents

  • Legizlation through Apostille

Documents from Member States of the Hague Convention only require a special authentication form of the apostille, which has to be issued by the respective national authorities. Whether a country is a member of this agreement can be seen at the following website or asked at the respective consulate or embassy.

More Information ->  Haager Apostille (

  • Double legalization (Foreign ministry and consulate or embassy)

This is necessary for all countries which have not signed an agreement. All documents have to be legalized by the competent authorities of the country which issued the documents (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) and in addition by the Austrian diplomatic mission. 

The following countries have signed bilateral agreements that exempt all original documents from legalization: Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegowina, Bulgaria, Germany, Denmark, Finnland, France, Italy, Croatia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Mazedonia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Czech republic, Hungary

  • Translation

Non-German language documents have to be translated by an authorized translation service into German language or into English language.